Welcome to my first ever blog about vocabulary and my First ever blog about anything! I am completely new to the world of blogging but not to the teaching of vocabulary. In this blog I hope to share my experience of strategies and resources for teaching vocabulary in the junior cycle. It can also be used by parents at home if you want to give your kids’ bank of words a boost.
Firstly a note about Me! My name is Gillian Corrigan and I have been a teacher for over 15 years. I have worked as a mainstream teacher, learning support teacher and literacy mentor. I also spent a year in an international school in Japan. In 2010 I completed my Masters in Literacy and I continued to work with teachers on developing literacy both within my own school and in other schools in the Dublin 8 and Dublin 17 areas.
I am passionate about supporting teachers in literacy teaching, and with that in mind I thought a blog would be a great way to share my experience in this area.
What will you find in this blog?
- Information about vocabulary stemming from research (just to put it into context!)
- Lesson ideas and suggestions for teaching vocabulary in the classroom and at home.
- FREE sample lesson plans for teaching vocabulary at different class levels.
- FREE vocabulary lesson resources.
- Links to yearlong lesson resources for each class level in the junior cycle to purchase.
I really hope that you find this blog useful. Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts and if you know of a teacher or parent who would benefit from it please do let them know.
All the best,